Monday 25 January 2016

There's a Storm (Lantern) brewing!

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well.  I have been well out of my comfort zone this week with week 4 of  Wanderlust and no you have not missed week 3, its just that I have got a little bit out of sequence with the order I have been creating so my new journal page for this will follow soon.  So, what has got me twichy this week I here you ask?? - Still life painting that's what.  This weeks class was given by Teresa McFayden and she made it look so easy.  Here is my first ever attempt at something like this so don't laugh too loud ...


It was painted from the photograph I took below, and as it was being painted most of the time all you could see on the Canvas were large blobs of colour. I was constantly asking my nearest and dearest "Can you tell what it is yet?" and the answer right up until I was adding all the final detail was er! mmm! .... well No!

 
I have to admit that I am not sure where the colours came from apart from it all started off as a bright yellow background and then I decided that the book was going to be red the lantern grey and everything else just sort of got mixed up, toned down and shaded around them.


It was also my first time using a gloss medium to mix my acrylic paints and I love the way it gives a translucent look to the colour so you can still see what is going on underneath.

 
There is a rather thick coat of Gesso under there too which is what is giving the picture its texture.
For you Scots out there who are looking at my original photo thinking that wee dram looks a bit dark (It was actually coke!) I have tried to rectify that in the painting,  although the glass does look a little bit 2 dimensional.

 
I have got to say it was one of the hardest thing I have ever had a try at because trying to get the dimensions right was really tricky, yes the lantern is wonky, and the book is a bit big but I am pleased I had a go.  I don't think I am on track to be the next Turner or Lowry :)  but it just shows what you can do with a little time and using only 3 primary colours plus black and white paint. 
 
Thank you for taking the time to drop by.
Big Hugs
Mo x
 

9 comments:

  1. Blogger will not let me leave my comment.... will try again tomorrow.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now it does! I really am very impressed with your fabulous painting Mo! You look like you have been painting for ages. The colours are great, the shadow behind the lantern looks brilliant - I just love the whole piece. You are so clever!!

    I am still trying with mine.....not sure it will ever get done...

    Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it Mo - not looked at this week yet - or last week - been having computer issues - anyway - looking forward to catching up!!! I think your sense of perspective is fantastic and the colour looks brilliant - first class job Mo - well done!! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mo, this looks fabulous. I have just prepared mine. I am still doing my Kate Crane journal. I am very slow. My computer is being renewed this week, so I shall not have it until the end of the week. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I am so wishing I could find time for this, but having signed up for something I didn't really get my value from last year thought it best not to! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't even watched the video yet, but am filled with trepidation at the idea. I think you're not only brave but brilliant to have achieved this fabulous painting on your first go. I can hardly believe it's just three primary colours - the variations and layers you've achieved with the colour tones are gorgeous. Bravo!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not laughing at all, just really, really impressed!! Wow, you certainly are making the best of Wanderlust, I'm only half way through watching kate Crane's videos.... Anyway, I love how you arranged your composition and the finished painting looks fantastic, well done you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Few are willing to step outside their comfort zones let alone share it with the rest of the planet so hats off to you for that Mo. And then, that painting. LOVE it!!! It reminds me of some of Van Gogh's still life paintings, capturing light and shade details in every area. Be proud my friend. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wow and wow again Mo, this is amazing you have captured the very essence of your little collection of objects and portrayed them beautifully. You don't need to be a Turner or Lowry you have that special Mo style which is unique and very special to you and excites me as an artist (well I did study oil painting for three years but am sure I won't be able to create anything as distinct and creative as your piece here). Love it and well done. Mind you it wil be some time before I get there as I am still on week 2 lol.
    hugs Brenda xxx
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete